Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Real Us

Sunday night our Connection Group got a taste of the real Saylor household.
  • I left the house at 3pm to preach at an event in a neighboring town.
  • Robin came home at about 6pm from another party and started cleaning up.
  • I picked up Justin at 6:15pm from his friend Caleb's house.
  • Our group started to arrive at 6:30pm, right on time.
  • I didn't get home until 6:45pm.
  • Robin asked if I remembered to pick up Eden.
  • I didn't.
  • The birthday party she was at ended at 4pm (what 3 hours late among friends?)
  • Justin and I had not eaten.
  • I gave Justin a bag of lunch meat and a block of cheese.
  • I grabbed a piece of cheese cake.
  • Justin rejected the bag-o-meat and opted for my cheese cake.
  • Robin walked in with Eden to see all this unfolding in front of our group.

So much for the image of the perfect pastor's family.
We tried so hard to keep up appearances!

We told the group when we started that we'd be hospitable, but we'd also be real. Now they've seen the real side. "Life in a Fishbowl" as Robin's blog says.

Then we had a great discussion.
And we really prayed for each other.
This is authentic community.

Then we had company come to spend the night!
2 days into the week and we've had nearly 30 visitors already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! Thankyou sooooo much for an realistic look into the Saylor house! It's so nice to see that you are normal human beings just like the rest of us! I can sleep now! :D

(i did seriously think that you guys were perfect though, now who am i going to put up on that pedestal?!)