Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Message Topics/Texts

Hey Connectors,

I am genuinely interested in your input here- what are the pressing needs in our lives? What are the burning issues of our day? I want to know!

Let me get this started by telling you a few things that go through my mind as I sit down to write a sermon. Of course what I'm about to write is always tempered with the eternal truth that you can't address every person all the time. But still, I prayerfully think about the following things when I get ready to sermonize:
  1. Love God; Love People. The message should always convey both of these foundational truths.
  2. Truth wins. I am held accountable to teach the bible, whether it comforts or convicts.
  3. Someone here doesn't know Jesus- how can I introduce Him?
  4. Someone here is ready to believe- how can I invite him/her?
  5. Someone here is ready to take the next step- how can I inspire him/her?
  6. Will junior high kids get this? (I find this a very powerful question to ask myself)
  7. Everyone needs faith, hope, love and forgiveness.
  8. Many people, more than I think, are trapped in addiction, guilt and depression.
  9. What's the big idea people will walk away with?
  10. How will the big idea be applied/understood within 24 hours?*

*A final note on number 10. Some sermons deal with a proposition truth: How will someone embrace this life-changing truth? Other sermons are more about practical application: How will someone apply this life-changing principle?

Join the discussion in our Facebook group.

No comments: