Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Monday's Highlights



I'm happy to say that something changed for me this weekend- I felt thankful!
Or to be more specific- I felt thankful for Thanksgiving in October. It's a good sign of my acclimatizing to the Canadian rhythm of life. It really felt like Thanksgiving. (You can check out the rest of the family photos here.)

And I get the best of both worlds- we'll still celebrate US Thanksgiving with my family in November! That's something else to be thankful for!

But on with my other reflections:

~ Sunday felt like the first "normal" service we've had at Connections since the summer. We played it pretty safe because of the Holiday weekend. It was a good morning, pretty straightforward, pretty relaxed. It think the team needed that.

~ I made a HUGE message change right before I preached- the first time I've done that in ages. I'm still not sure if it was the right move (You can read the sermon online and decide for yourself). It's no use beating myself up over the change, but I've been examining Why I made the change:
  • Why did I feel unsettled about what I first wrote?
  • Was it a lack of faith, or a sign of faith?
  • Was I flowing the Spirit's leading, or listening to a voice of self-doubt?
  • If the former- great. Stay sensitive George.
  • If the latter, who was I trying to please with my message- God or people?
  • If the latter, where am I out of step?

If I can get a better grasp on the WHY question, then I'm going to learn something profitable. I'm so thankful that most Sundays I walk in with a message that I'm bursting at the seams to share. I really feel that God has prepared me, and prepared hearts, for his Word. But every so often you don't feel it.

But I think that in itself is a grace of God. It keeps me humble. It forces me to take it back to square one. It puts my eyes on God and in His Word.

I've been asking some other questions lately. Questions about Connections next steps. But that needs more thought before I write anything.

No comments: