Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday's Musings

Yesterday we had our biggest turnout yet- 284 people.
Wow.
I knew it was a big crowd when we ran out of programs, but I had no idea.
A lot of folks were there to support the Kaastra and Terry families.
But still, take away 50 guests and we still had 234 people there to worship.

So I went home feeling pretty full of myself.
Then it started to dawn on me- God is really doing something here.
And if God is doing something, I'm both thrilled... and terrified.
I got the chills.

And I feel out of comfort zone already.
  • How to you transition from wondering if anyone is going to show up, to knowing that a couple hundred will show up?
  • What do you do when you fill your meeting space?
  • Multiple services, multiple locations, video services, new venue?
  • How do you make such a transition and keep the momentum?
  • How do you lead people when you're clearly in over your head?
  • I don't know, but it's going to be a blast figuring it out.

I had a confidence going into church planting that I could lead a group of people with a vision to change lives for Jesus. But taking that vision to the next level is where my challenge really begins.
  • I'm going to have to resist the urge to play it safe now.
  • Take chances on people.
  • Let go of some things and trust others with leadership.
  • Think organizationally as well as missionally.
  • Plan ahead instead of respond to the moment.
_____
Yesterday I also preached at a Reformation Day service to a couple hundred people. It was awesome, and they were so excited to hear what God is doing through church planting.

Then we had our Connection Group at my place. Five weeks into the semester and I already feel so close with these people. Our prayer time was awesome!

We had company show up at 11:30pm to spend the night. I had never met them before. Honestly, I said who are you people and why are you at my house? Almost 12 years of marriage to Robin and she is still surprising me.

This morning we made pumpkin pancakes. It was a taste of the glory yet to come.

No comments: