Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Drama Begins

Sometimes I think there's a lot of drama in the life of a church planter.
Then I come home and talk to my daughters.

Eden started a band with her friends on Saturday.
"Vibrating Hearts"
What a great name for a girl band.
She wrote an amazing song for an 8 year old on Sunday. Honestly. We are definitely encouraging her writing and music skills.

But you know artsy music types.
Vanity, jealousy, gossip, backstabbing, egos...
You think I'm being dramatic, but I assure you, this week we've seen it all.

Today Eden said she's leaving the band.
Yep, after less than a week she's moving onto a solo career.
(Actually, there been some talk of a new duo forming with an older girl.)

Of course this left an opening in "Vibrating Hearts," so my younger girl, Karis, is taking Eden's place. The rest of the band doesn't know this yet, but I think Karis will win them over. She's a charmer. Too good of a charmer I'm afraid.

I'm pained for my daughters as they learn the difficult lessons of doing life together.
Perhaps the band is the perfect analogy:
  • Finding you own voice
  • Letting others find theirs
  • Working together
  • Fostering creativity while retaining our sanity
  • Doing what's best for the group instead of yourself
  • And the list could go on.
Her little band, and her little life, is like a microcosm of our church, and church in general. Part of me wants to try and teach her all the relationship lessons I've learned over my life. But I know it rarely works that way.

And often the best music comes out of the struggles we work through.

So watch out world- Vibrating Hearts, or some other band, will soon be rocking your way!

No comments: