Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bottleneck

This first year of Connections we got a lot done because I simply made the decisions. No Committees, no process, often no discussion. Just, "Do this, here's how." But this freedom is starting to become our prison. Too many things are happening for me to manage it all.

Actually, to many things are not happening. I can't make all the decisions anymore. I don't have the administrative or organizational gifts to wrap my head around everything that needs to happen.
  • I need to share our vision and values and draw people in.
  • I need to start projects/ministries so they can be handed off to others. (Note: I've learned the difference between asking somebody to do something, and giving somebody something to do. The later is better in nearly every case. You come along side someone, show them what's being done, tell them what you want done, hand the privilege of taking over to them.)
  • I need to empower more people to own more of the ministry.
And I do mean people. Not committees. Committees don't advance mission. God advances his mission through his Spirit through his people. We need people, small groups of people with one or two people leading, advancing the mission of our church.

We need to advance our Connection Groups
A volunteer coordinator
A volunteer handbook
A Creative Arts Team
A Stewardship Team
A new Advisory Team
A Marketing Team (or community awareness team, or some group, whatever their name, that will prayerful engage the best ways to make our church known in our community)
A Community Service Team

It's all part of the reinventing process of launching a church. What worked to get us started won't work us into our second year. My ownership got the ball rolling. Now others owning the mission will take to exponentially higher places. Through prayer, discernment, and engagement we will position ourselves for a great second year of growth.

No comments: