Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dangerous Church

The following blog I read a few days ago has been with me ever since. I thought maybe it was time to share it with you...

Guest Blog: Miles Paludan

As an Australian surf lifesaver, I patrolled dangerous surf locations, looking for the international sign for distress… a raised hand. Twenty years later as a campus pastor, I’m still looking for a raised hand… those committing their lives to Christ. However, rather than patrolling dangerous and uncomfortable places like homeless shelters, bars, hospitals, or the wrong side of town, I find myself in safe, comfortable places like staff meetings, LifeGroups, prayer meetings and churchy blogs.

When I look at the life of Christ, he could regularly be found in dangerous locations, with people in distress: houses of tax collectors, marketplaces with the non-religious crowd, and leper colonies. How about you? Are you like me… only venturing out to a Starbucks or your Inbox?

When was the last time you found yourself in a dangerous place? Where were you?


This is a two-fold challenge to me:

In order to make our church "dangerous";

I need to go into "dangerous" places.

No comments: