Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday's Musings



Yesterday was one of the most challenging sermons I've ever preached.
It goes like this:

We have to talk about money- the bible talks about it.
We have to talk about money- it's a reality of our lives and a HUGE area of stress and confusion for many people.
But, it's such a sore spot for churches and people.

It's hard for people- we love to talk about money, just not our own money. More specifically, our spending habits.
It's hard for churches- we don't want to ever appear motivated by profit or greed.

I outlined the simple financial plan I was taught: 10-10-80
Give 10%
Save 10%
Live on 80%
As time passes, try to increase the first two.

I was given some great opportunities by my family. I was able to enter adulthood debt free.
Robin and I entered our marriage debt free. We've lived relatively simply ever since. We even lived in a dorm apartment the first 6 years of our marriage- now that's simple!
So we've given, we've saved, and we haven't gone into debt. (Actually, we have- we have a mortgage. I'm told not to think of that like debt, but I do. It still bugs me that we haven't paid off our house yet- but I'm working on it!)

For too long I thought I had it all figured out by living within our means.
But preparing for yesterday's message has really got me thinking and studying finances.
  • Why do I still not really enjoy the spending part of my budget?
  • Why do I resist firming up a budget that accounts for my spending before it happens?
  • What would my giving look like if I took this more seriously?
  • How far ahead might I be if I paid more attention to my savings?

My father once told me there are three stages to a mans life:
  • First he's obsessed with sex.
  • Then he's obsessed with money.
  • I'm not saying what the third stage is.
  • Nor am I saying I'm out of the first stage (Robin is so hot!)

But I've actually been praying, yes PRAYING, that I start to care much more about money.
  • I'm praying I care enough to budget better.
  • To give more.
  • To save more strategically.
  • And to enjoy spending.

The thing I realize is that I'm going to need help to do all this. I'm not wired to figure this all out by myself. I'm excited to see what unfolds. I'm also planning to preach a series on finances next year- tentatively set for April (I know- it's appropriate).

Until then we'll see how we get through this recession, the holidays, and who knows what else!
But no matter what happens I think we are entering a new age of living a more simple, more frugal life style. It's combination of new economic realities and changing cultural sensibilities.

But like I said, I'm no expert...yet.

No comments: