Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The E Word

I must confess something- I throw the word "empower" around way too much. I throw it around because I want it to characterize my life, the lives of others, Connections, etc. But saying it, like so many things, is not the same as doing it, experiencing it, and growing it.

A lesson I learned a long time ago was the difference between asking somebody to do something, and giving them something to do. More often it is better to give someone something. By this I mean you walk along side of them, show them what you are doing, or what you hope will be done, and when the time is right, you give it over to them. You pass the baton, so to speak.

But there is another step- actual empowerment. When someone can take that task, that job, that thing, and truly own it. Then grow it. I found this list online that helped be think through the importance of true empowerment:

Empowerment is obviously better. But it can be overwhelming. There is a time to delegate and things to be delegated. But as the job/ministry/relationship matures, so should the level of empowerment.

Let me know if you have any great insights, articles, examples of empowering people for serving God. I'd love to grow in this area.

No comments: