Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Getting Excited

Are you getting excited about church? If not, something is wrong.
With the church.
With you.
Or a combination.

The church should be a source of the most exciting, inspiring, engaging things in your life.

We think that by creating committees and congregational meetings people will feel a part of the church. They'll feel "ownership." And accordingly, they will be excited.

Let's follow that line of thinking:
I own car.
A Ford Taurus. A good, reliable, economical car.
But I've never once been excited about my Ford Taurus.
In fact owning the car, while practical, useful, and ultimately worth the time and trouble, is more of an excitement killer than excitement producer.

A lot of things we hope will create ownership and excitement about church really end up creating frustration and resentment. Committee's for example, are usually just one more meeting, one more argument, one more belabored decision making process that didn't really have to happen.

A committee doesn't need to decide on the bulletin. 2-3 people need to work on it.
A group doesn't need to a review web designs- 2 people should stay on the cutting edge.

I would rather have fewer people working in more specific areas in which they actually exercise their gifts and decision making.

But I'm left wondering where we can get a lot of people feeling empowered in the church? Right now, at our size, we still have more needed jobs to be done than people to fill them. But I'm trying to think ahead.

One thing has been on my mind lately in this area- I get so excited about upcoming series. I think about them, pray about them, study for them. So I'm bursting at the seams before they start.
How can I share this excitement?
By more collaboration.
I want to get more people contributing more ideas to our series.

Imagine the excitement generated if just 50 people feel a part of the upcoming series- they've contributed ideas, art, music, video, drama or other insights. They each have 5-10 people that they share this excitement with.
We have 250-500 people getting excited about a series before it even starts.
Because they were a part of forming it, or know someone intimately who has shared their excitement.
That's the power of actually getting excited about church.

No comments: