Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Joy

I should have put joy into our list of values as a church.
So here I am unofficially adding to our list to things that are vitally important to our church culture- JOY.
What brings you joy?
This morning was full of joy for me.

I was downstairs, doing my coffee and bible reading thing, waiting for the rest of the family to get up. As a homeschooling family we have a wonderfully relaxed pace, but the kids are up by 7:30am and we get things going.

It was 7:45am. Finally I heard them calling my name. The whole clan was in my king-sized bed (I LOVE my king sized bed) snuggling- and they wanted their Daddy. So I listened to my own sermon this past Sunday (Serving God's People), decided NOT to walk by this moment, and jumped right back in bed.
It was one of those moments you want to hold onto for a lifetime.
How can a father describe the love you feel wrapped up with your family on a freakishly cold morning in April? Pure JOY.

Oh, I have to tell another story.
The scene: our little kitchen, Robin at the stove behind me working on dinner, me at the sink cleaning, Karis at the counter on a stool with her snack.
"Daddy move- I'm watching a cooking show."

The thing is, she knew she was being funny. At 6 years old she has the most amazing sense of humor. Her middle name is Joy, and she is the epitome of it. And her joy is contagious. She brings laughter everywhere she goes.

Back in the day when I preached in a church where the ministers wore the academic garb on Sunday morning (I still wear the robe... at costume parties!) I used a quote that said, "For too long the church has been associated with long faces and black robes." I looked at myself, unzipped (yes, I had a shirt on underneath) and ripped it off. I actually got cheers in a Presbyterian Church that morning!

For too long the church has not been associated as a place of joy- pure, extravagant, abundant joy. Read through Philippians. I am. I want to preach through it this summer. It's all about joy- rejoice always, your joy in Christ Jesus, make my joy complete, I am glad and rejoice with all of you... Read the Psalms- 56 out of 150 speak of our joy in the Lord.

Yes, there will be seasons for sorrow, but joy comes in the morning (Ps. 90). I pray you find her today- maybe even before you get out of bed.

No comments: