Friday, April 4, 2008

Reflections From a Trip to Disney, Part 2

Here's my second observation/reflection upon returning to work after my Holiday to Disney:

My calling to plant and lead Connections is not my entire life.

  • First is being faithful to God.
  • Second is being faithful to my wife and kids.
  • Third is being faithful to the work of pastoring Connections.
We should all have the joy have putting a lot of our identity into what we do. I wish everyone would have the blessing of loving what they do, of feeling called to their vocation. Work is too important in God's kingdom and in our lives to be a drag. It really needs to be a joy.

Some people have none of their identity invested in what they do. They are punching the clock and working for the weekend. That's a hard life, and that's not how it's supposed to be. We should all do our work for the glory of God. We should take pleasure in the works of our hands (see the entire book of Ecclesiastes).

But others have too much of their identity wrapped up in their work (Pastors are notorious for this.) They have no other outlets. Their enjoyment of life is totally dependent on how things are at work, at the firm, in the office.

When I started this mission I came up with a motto that would guide me each day:
"Failure is not an option... I must be prepared to fail."

Each day I work as if failure is not an option-
We will launch the service.
We will improve the service.
We will grow the church.
We will take this to the next level.
I will take a bullet for this mission and will not let it be hijacked or thwarted...

But in the back of my head and heart I remind myself of this- if I fail, if this turns out to be a giant lesson in handling disappointment, if this is my ultimate life lesson in humility, if someone comes along who is better cut out for this and called to this, if the bottom falls out, if I have to step aside, I must be prepared.

Statistically more than 80% of new churches fold within a few years.

Holidays with my family help me prepare because where I CANNOT fail is in being faithful to God, faithful to my wife, and faithful to my children. If I am faithful in these areas I will be successful in the eyes of God.

And that helps me keep this all in perspective, even though I know we are in 20%!

No comments: