Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thoughts on prayer, 2

In thoughts on prayer 1 we established the following:
It matters when and where we pray.
After Jesus finished praying, as the story goes in Luke 11, the disciples asked Jesus how to pray.
What a thought- that we actually need to be taught how to pray.
Jesus goes on to teach them a great, pithy prayer- short and sweet.
But I'm fascinated with the story that follows.
Basically a man is sleeping. His neighbor comes pounding on his door, asking for bread for his visitor. There's so much going on here, too much to get into, but it comes down to this-
"I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his impudence he will rise and give him whatever he needs." Luke 11:8

I love the way another translation puts it, because of his bold audacity...
Since Jesus taught his disciples to pray this way, I've lately been taking it at face value. Late at night, and early in the morning, pounding on God's door with bold prayer.
Or as I've been calling it, my tenacious audacious prayers.
I've had a lot lately. Here are just a few:

We need someone to organize our nursery and children's program.

We need a great website.
I want to double in size by September- 50 to 60 committed, invested, inviting adults.
Bless my wife and kids, help me to be a great husband and father.
We need a ministry center and all the stuff to fill it up.
We want 4 small groups running this summer.
I need someone who knows a lot about AV equipment.
Our band needs to ROCK!
We need some great graphics and promotional materials.
But perhaps most boldly,
We want to see people finding Jesus.



No comments: