Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thoughts on prayer, 1

Lately I've been working to manage my fears in church planting. Mostly I'm filled with great excitement, optimism, enthusiasm and faith.
But then the moment of fear will slip in.
The thoughts of all that could go wrong.
The things that I would do differently now.
The "what if" questions.
I think it's actually a pretty healthy place to be.
It keeps me grounded in the reality that there is no way I can do this.
Oh I can organize it all. Put it together. Pull it off. But it wouldn't really be building the church.
Building the church is God's work.
We just do our part.
That simple truth alone keeps bringing me back to prayer.
"Now Jesus was praying in a certain place..." Luke 11:1

So here's my first reflection on prayer- it matters when and where we pray. It really does.
We have this ideal that our whole life should be a sort of unceasing prayer. It's biblical. But it's really hard.
Richard Foster wrote,
"We can't expect to pray all the time everywhere, if we don't pray sometimes somewhere."

Our relationship with God is much like our human relationships- communication is key. And prayer is simply our communication with God.
I want to have a great relationship with my wife, so we set aside time and we go out on dates, we invest in each other. Then it feels like our relationship is without ceasing. But that only happens through setting up the time and place.
So there are times when if you'd look in my office you'd only see me.
But I'm not alone.
And I am busy.
And God is building His church.

No comments: