Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What will God give you?



It's fun how certain themes can start to appear in our lives. For the past few days a theme that's been hovering around conversations is this idea that God won't give you more than you can handle.

I don't believe that. I don't read that in the bible. I've experienced quite the opposite.

It think this is where well intentioned Christians get mixed up:
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
But there's a big difference between temptation and what we can or cannot handle.

In fact, it would seem from numerous bible stories, and my own life experience, that God delights in getting us into situations we can't handle.

Noah didn't know how to build boats.
David couldn't take on a giant.
Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh.
The disciples appeared soundly UNqualified to take the mantle of Jesus.
And I am clearly in over my head!

None of us, no one on the team, has ever planted Connections Community Church before.
All of us, no matter how much church experience we might have, are in new waters with the mission. Because God is doing anew thing. And it's taking past our own strength.

And it feels amazing to have more than we can handle. Because we are learning more each day to pray, to follow God, to lean on Him, and to lean on one another.

I'm finally getting good at saying, "I don't know how to do this. Can you help me?" I'm saying that about a lot of our areas of development. And I'm praying it very sincerely to God.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
God's giving us more than we can handle so we can ask for help, lean on Him, and give Him all the glory. That's kind of the whole point.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen George!

Anonymous said...

Pet Peeve of mine, when I've been going through crisis (and I've had a couple) is people telling me that God never gives you more than you can handle! So I reiterate Jan's AMEN and add a big old "Preach it brother"!

~Heather

George Saylor said...

It seems others have had this conversation too! Now I've had several folks talk to me about how the times when God gave them more than they could handle ended up being the seasons of blessing and growth. Anyways, planting a church for Jesus is still more than I can handle, and I wouldn't want it any other way!