Sunday, May 6, 2007

My Spidey Senses...


I can't believe I'm posting this picture, but I was there! I was at the premier of Spiderman 3 at midnight on Thursday in a Spiderman costume.
First the explanation, then the lesson. My friend Gayle (pictured) is a local movie critic, so this is part of her job. I get to tag along to the good ones. As for the costume, I honestly just had it lying around. No really, my mother bought it for me. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. So I couldn't help myself- I had to be the weirdo in the costume at the premier.
The lesson- the movie was good, but definitely the worst of the trilogy. Why?
FOCUS.

It had some action for the guys. But it was tame, so families could attend. Of course they really tried to develop the characters so the movie snobs would approve. And for the ladies, the budding romance of Peter and Mary Jane. The end result- mediocrity.
When you try to please everyone, you really can't do it well. But when you focus on one group with one thing, you have a much better chance of hitting the mark. What's more, you'll often earn the respect of a lot of others who recognize what you're doing. Romance isn't my first choice for a movie- but a romance done really well I totally respect and even enjoy.

Spidey should have stuck with aiming for geeks in costumes.


Connections Community Church will stick with aiming for people who don't yet know God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally true. It is probably one of the most dangerous things that comes out of a COS. As much as we like to see our community as pretty much like ourselves...there are often just as many differences. With each similiarity and difference ,an opportunity is there to reach out. So many things to do right-so many to do wrong. It's important to have focus. When reading about echo-friendly building one of the most interesting approaches was a animal shelter in Las Vegas. Their goal was to build so that they used their most abundant resource(the sun)to conserve their least(water). I like that approach. It's thoughtful, reasonable and achieveable.So how can that be applied to a church plant? What is our most abundant resource? And how can that be used to meet the greatest need?

George Saylor said...

I love that- What's our most abundant resource and how can that meet the greatest need. The fullness of the answer goes much deeper, but I think we already know where this is going: greatest resource= our connection to God through Jesus and His Holy Spirit. Greatest need= people not connected to God. Thanks movie maven!