Monday, August 27, 2007

Bad Ideas


A few months ago Robin and I had a "brilliant" idea:
Start and end the summer with camping trips.
So first thing in July we went to Lakewood for a few days.
And now we are heading off to Cypress Lake for four days.
In theory it idea is still solid- book end the summer to make the most of our holidays, start and end with a bang.
But now that we are frantically packing the car after another busy weekend (preaching, visiting with my cousin Phill, hosting book club) and, more pressing, now that we are less than two weeks out from our first public preview service...
this now longer seems like such a brilliant idea.
But even now, as Robin packs and I write (I am totally hiding right now), this forces me to embrace a number of things:
  1. I've said it before- God will build his church, I'm just another worker.
  2. We have a lot of other very competent workers on board- while still holding the vision close, I can completely trust the others to do their parts.
  3. My family and my own relationship with God comes first- I am actually no good as a pastor/leader if I don't live this stuff. And right now, more than our church needs a pastor trying to handle everything, our church needs a pastor who keeps Christ first in his heart.

I need this- I need to be with my family, to be with my God, to be back in creation, to just be for a few days. The work will be here when I get back, and low-and-behold, a lot of it just might get done without me.

Good bye- I'll be back Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

George,
I could not have said it any better. Work will always be there after a vacation break. Every family deserves time together and you also deserve this time off. I can speak from experience, where work has taken precedence over family. I too am going to spend time away this week with extended family, to refresh and come back invigorated ready to start afresh.
Savor this time with family.