Monday, June 9, 2008

Thoughts on moving forward

One of my past blogs raised some questions on how we will make the move to hiring staff at Connections. Here are some of my thoughts at this point (I know this will at least help me clarify my plans):

First, none of our positions can start at full-time pay. We aren't there financially. We haven't even begun to talk about stewardship. We are still just a group of folks with a mission and me as the pastor/planter/leader. We will need to transition people into full time work. Over what period of time, I don't know. My hope is that we can almost simultaneously move to several part time positions.

Second, I realize this approach has some advantages and limitations. A serious limitation is in getting folks that have experience and education in these areas. In other words, the "outside expert" model of staffing. Interestingly, this is how I was "hired." Funds were secured to pay a planter/pastor like myself.

As the vision and mission of Connections came together, I soon realized I wanted to grow a culture of leadership within the church, so that future staffing would come from within the church. This makes me a product of the ecclesiastical model going back to more congregational approach. It also flows a bit like the biblical model in Acts where the Apostles came into a city to plant a church, but trained the people of that city to run the church.

Third, the advantage for Connections is that we can move quickly into a more "staff-led" approach to our ministry. In other words, it's cheaper to hire four people at quarter-time than one person at full-time. This is a hard move because people need to be in a position in life where they can work only part-time, or can piece together multiple part-time positions.

My preferred part time positions are: Administration, Worship Director, Family Minsitry Director and Media/Arts Director. (A year ago would have probably said: Worship Director, Family Ministry Director, Small Groups Director, Community Outreach Director. I know more about our mission now.)

Fourth, the way to move people into part-time positions is basically through making themselves invaluable to the church as volunteers. We already have key folks without whom we could not function at the level we do as a church. Administration, worship and family ministry are particularly dependent on a few individuals.

It's interesting how these positions of influence have grown out of our mission. Competent church administration is vital, because we are reaching out to unchurched people. These folks don't know how to run a church organizationally. So we rely on the few folks we have that know "church administration." With worship it's a matter of excellence and consistency. With Family Minsitry it's a matter of professionalism and motivation. With media, it's about creating the worship experience we envision.

Fifth, and finally, there's a old saying in the church that pastors should work themselves out of a job. I know what they mean, but it's misleading.

We should work ourselves forward in our jobs/calling. I need to get out of the way so others can step into roles I'm currently filling. But this doesn't mean I'm out of a job; it means I move to the next one. This way the mission grows.

So do you want a job at Connections? Make yourself absolutely vital. Then move your job forward so others can get involved as they become equipped and empowered to take over.

There's a lot more to be said and learned. But at least that helps me organize my priorities.

No comments: