Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Good Tip

I think I've stumbled upon a genius idea- inviting waiters, waitresses, baristas, etc to church. No really, this just dawned on me the other day.

I have a couple of regular haunts to meet folks for coffee or a meal. I've also tried to be very intentional about remembering names, being nice, giving tips, and looking for opportunities to GENUINELY invite them to Connections. And I kept getting a great response every time I gave an invitation card. I was really feeling my oats at all the "connections" I've made when it dawned on me,
"Oh yeah, the customer is always right- they are PAID to be glad that I invited them to church."
Then I felt like an idiot.

Then I felt really good about myself again (I'm an emotional roller coaster in the span of 3 seconds). Because...

1. I don't know if they are sincerely grateful, but I know I'm sincerely inviting.
2. It's in their hands now, and I don't have to worry about it.
3. It wasn't a bad experience, it was actually quite fun and encouraging.

So, here's my advice to you who want to invite folks to church, because it means the world to you, but you're nervous about doing it because you hate rejection, and you hate the thought of people thinking you're insincere, and you think the whole experience will be traumatizing...

Invite the lady or the guy serving you coffee to church this weekend. They won't laugh at you, they won't kick you out. And who knows, they may actually appreciate it, they may actually show up, they may even become your friend.

No comments: